Really?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Really?

Post by ANDREW1302 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:19 pm

I've been watching QPR since 1968 and for me that was one of the worst opening home games i can remember.

We are told that this will be a passing side and then all we do is lump it forward.

We all know Charlie is not a lone front man but that is how he was played... again

We play Luongo, a small guy, in the centre of the park and leave him isolated. The gap between him and Henry was way to big.

Chery who is probably the best player we have, is served high balls all day and then taken off

There was confusion between players as to who should be doing what

The gap in the centre of the park was big enough to drive 3 buses thru

And the list goes on. Talk to Cardiff fans and they think they will struggle to survive this season. And we were lucky to get anything out of this game.

Where are some tactics ? If in doubt give it a lump is hardly going to get us very far.

I have to say i was as disappointed as i have ever been on that showing. I do think we have some good players but there was no shape, no cohesion , no following of the supposed philosophy. As i have said before there is a lot more to being a manager than being nice in interviews.

I will remain calm but on todays showing Ramsey was naive , unable to change a failing system, unable to motivate and his team looked pretty clueless. Take out Phillips and Charlie which is likely and we will need a team that knows its job, works as a unit and appreciates given they are pretty small they need to keep it on the ground.Today it showed none of these qualities and that frankly is the fault of the manager. Someone earlier said give it 10 - 15 games. That i think is a maximum. Pearson is available and he is proven and unlike previous seasons we need to see early doors if our current management team have what it takes. Before the best of what is available is taken up by someone else. 2 games in and , for me, Ramsey is not looking good.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Really?

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:25 pm

You've obviously forgotten Hull & Swansea opening games in recent years then.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:35 pm

QPR 0 Bolton 4
QPR 0 Swansea 5

To name but two. But bless you for remaining calm.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Blooody yooongsters!! how about Brentford 6 QPR 1 in 1965 ? and I was too young to drown my sorrows in The Magpie & Crown in Brentford High Street. :(

the big IP
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:44 pm

I think we lost 5-1 to Southampton in the 1980s

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:52 pm

I agree completely with the OP. There have been worse results for opening games but in terms of the quality of football, that was, for me, the worst. That was exactly the sort of performance that I feared seeing today. I like CR but frankly he seems to have virtually no idea whatsoever on how to set a team up. Tactics, team shape, systems. These appear to be mysteries to him. If either of these sides are in the promotion mix come May then I will be astounded. How we got a 2-0 lead was down to pure effort really. Yes, he's limited by the players he has but they have got to be organised and they're just not. If we had won today (which we would have had JET scored) it would've just been papering over the cracks. CR should have 10-12 games and if things don't improve then he might require the order of the Iron Boot. Warburton would've been my choice but he went to some little Scottish club. :mrgreen: And why was CA on his own up front??? aniwall
On the plus side: Ned and Clint did well and kept us in it. Luongo looks good as does Chery. Gladwin good in flashes and a CM pairing of Sandro and Ale would make a hell of a difference. Oh well, onwards and upwards! I hope.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:59 pm

I hear what you are saying but at the same time he's trying to integrate everyone into his ways. Yes, he's had time to do so but he went with some very inexperienced players today in creative areas (Gladwin, Doughty, Luongo) who you could clearly see didn't always make the best decisions. But these things take time. I think, when Sandro,Diakite, Mackie and Fer are fit you might not see one, two or even three of the aforementioned involved.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Libertine
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Libertine » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:09 pm

We were dreadful. Not the sort of dreadful where lots of new players are adjusting to a new concept, but rather where none of the players have any idea what the concept is. Once Austin and Phillips escape... We'll be in a lot of bother.

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:38 am

I think my point has been covered by a synopsis of what others have said. What i meant by worst was in terms of quality . We just didn't seem to show any basic quality/technique. I absolutely understand the arguement about giving a new team time but consider Watford. They are playing , i think, with about 6 new players and are producing immediatley some quality football and getting points in the Premier League.
We are talking about professional footballers . I personally think they , over 90 minutes, can show 75 minutes of cohesion and understanding of a basic system. The problem we seemed to have yesterday is that the tactics simply didn't work and as a result we lumped the ball.This was against a team who were 6 inches per man taller than us and when we were playing 1 up front! I don't necessarily think it is about the players i think it is about the coaching team . We talk about settling in and i would suggest the settling in is about CR. Can he adjust to management or is he just a behind the scenes coach. The team can survive in this league but can he?

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:26 am

I'm not sure if there stats to support this, but for the first 10 mins or so the ball spent more than 50% of the time in the air. We had no real hold up play (we don't have the players for this) and we dont seem to have the movement and passing to play football on the deck.

Oh, and when we had some sort of controlled/uncontested possession, we punted it up the field like a defensive clearance. When we needed a pump up field (defensive clearance) it rarely happened.

There was a huge disconnect in midfield. We were over run (again). Cardiff players hunted in packs and always seemed to be were the ball was, while we chased our tails.

I'm convinced that it will get a lot better, and contrary to what others may think, we will be better off when Austin and Phillips leave. It seems the team is treading water until then and CR feels pressure to play his best players/ How can we build a cohesive unit know that in all probability 2 or maybe 3 if you count Green, of our best players are likely to leave in the next week or two?

It's really early season form, and the big difference between the sides is that Cardiff know how to play as a team. That takes time. We haven't had that benefit yet. Let's see what happens over the next few months.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

DW
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by DW » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:05 am

Let's understand that Ramsey was a youth team coach at Spuds, a club that racks and stacks the best young talent around in their youth system, whIch would have made Ramsey's job easier, but for every Harry Kane produced there would have been 20 or 30 Dean Parrott's. Ramsey isn't the answer to QPR and on the two showings so far which were very similar in displays both by us and the opposition, and in terms of substitutions we will be lucky to survive.

JH
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by JH » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:02 am

DW wrote: Ramsey isn't the answer to QPR
Given his total lack of experience and the state the club was in and would be in, he was an odd appointment in February, a bizarre retention in May. And we all know which particular idiot was responsible for all of this!

But what I cannot get my head around and what I find utterly indefensible, is that we are nowhere near fit enough in my view.

QPR were always going to have a mountain of work to do to sort the mess out, regardless of who would be managing us. Giving this daunting and hugely difficult task to a rookie was ridiculous. On the evidence since February, those airing thoughts ranging from 'concerned' through to outright 'despair' have some basis for their opinions.

However, while I may feel slightly lumbered with CR, I am prepared to give him some time. I think he needs a mentor figure to help guide him because his lack of experience is hindering him and there is nothing or no one within QPR that can help him and certainly not the very fool that appointed him.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:20 am

Agree with many points on here, BUT, it's not beyond the wit of man to get a team fit is it?

Beyond that, playing with some cohesion too.

I wasn't there yesterday, but from various views from those that were it sounds we're no further advanced than last season, arguably worse.

I'm still irked by the Ramsey point of making sure someone stays on the posts at corners.

If under 12 teams can do it, come on guys, ...... :roll: :roll:
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:41 am

DW wrote:Let's understand that Ramsey was a youth team coach at Spuds, a club that racks and stacks the best young talent around in their youth system, whIch would have made Ramsey's job easier, but for every Harry Kane produced there would have been 20 or 30 Dean Parrott's.
Sadly, you're right DW.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:59 am

On top of everything above, we still don't have an inkling about throw-ins. Ours are usually a swift way of returning the ball to the oppo, and theirs are rarely contested by our lot. It probably accounts for a good bit of the possession stats. Do we even consider this in training?

As for the fitness issue, if a team is operating at around 35% possession, then they're doing an awful lot of chasing around compared to the oppo, and that's going to tell after 60 to 70 minutes.

Dreadful display yesterday and lucky to get a draw :(