Warburton

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Warburton

Post by Mr Beef » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:34 pm

ImageIf we need a manager that can get a team to play good football on a small budget and get us challenging for the play-offs then how about that ex-Forest and Brentford bloke who has just come on to the market.

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:53 pm

I reckon the board must think that the dip in form is down to the manager losing the dressing room. We've all seen the poor performances of late and put it down to injuries but i wonder if they've seen this as a golden opportunity to get promoted lost because the players have lost faith in him? Does make you wonder when we've had games with hardly any shots on goal.

So rather than take a chance and see if the poor form continues into next season, they want to get someone in now who can start work on the team before pre season. Dieng and Dickie will be sold which will free up money for the new manager to spend. However it was a disastrous start by McLaren when they did that, albeit he picked it up mid season before almost relegating us. Lets hope lightening doesn't strike twice.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:25 pm

Mr Beef wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:34 pm
ImageIf we need a manager that can get a team to play good football on a small budget and get us challenging for the play-offs then how about that ex-Forest and Brentford bloke who has just come on to the market.
We have not played good football or realistically challenged the play-offs since February. Maybe that’s when our players tired and other teams with more pace and power came into the picture. Something ably demonstrated by Sheffield United tonight.

pindarus

Post by pindarus » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:16 am

According to the paper, Daniel Farke, Slavisa Jokanavic and Chris Hughton have been added to our "shortlist".

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:40 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:25 pm
Mr Beef wrote:
We have not played good football or realistically challenged the play-offs since February. Maybe that’s when our players tired and other teams with more pace and power came into the picture. Something ably demonstrated by Sheffield United tonight.
We've been on a poor run and had a lot of injuries. We've played good football over the three years that Warburton has been here and challenged for the play-offs this season.

Wegerle
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:48 pm

Mr Beef wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:40 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Mr Beef wrote:
We've been on a poor run and had a lot of injuries. We've played good football over the three years that Warburton has been here and challenged for the play-offs this season.
We played PASSAGES of good football the past years and ATTEMPTED a play off challenge this year.
When you look at the complete picture it has been good and bad and alas the bad period at the end lasted too long with no improvement in sight. We are going nowhere really fast.
Fresh ideas and new players are very much needed.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:20 pm

Unfortunately, it was destined to end this way.

I love Warbs but we consistently failed to take care of the football or win first contact and lacked intensity...
Last edited by WA Hoop on Sun May 01, 2022 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Question everything.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:59 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:20 pm
lacked intensity...
Painfully on show last night.
Ifang Bondi

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:00 pm

Today was very telling ...

We are currently in 12th place with 63 points and a 0 goal difference. Bournemouth and Forest sit second and third with 82 and 79 points respectively and a goal difference of plus 33 and plus 34. That is the nature of the gap. One of them will join Fulham in the Premier League next season, and probably both of them.

I haven't seen anything this season to suggest we have the players to be at that level. Sure, we have spent a lot of time in the top six, but that was a false position. What I think has happened over the last three years is we have seen a steady improvement. Before MW arrived we were fighting relegation year after year, and nervously looking over our shoulders.

The Board have decided to take a huge risk by throwing that steady progress out the window. I really hope it comes off, but to do so, we will need to find some gems, and everyone of our first team squad will need to up their game considerably.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:08 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:20 pm
Unfortunately, it was destined to end this way.

I love Warbs but we consitently failed to take care of the footbal or win first contact and lacked intensity...
I see what you've done there :lol:
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:14 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:48 pm
Mr Beef wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:40 pm
QPR_John wrote:

We played PASSAGES of good football the past years and ATTEMPTED a play off challenge this year.
When you look at the complete picture it has been good and bad and alas the bad period at the end lasted too long with no improvement in sight. We are going nowhere really fast.
Fresh ideas and new players are very much needed.
Some fair points there Wegs, but a little harsh in my view. The majority of the last three years have been better than the years before them. Time will tell I guess. The board don't have a good record of managerial appointments. Warburton was the only one we've seen any sustained progress under. Let's hope they get it right.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:09 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:00 pm
The Board have decided to take a huge risk by throwing that steady progress out the window. I really hope it comes off, but to do so, we will need to find some gems, and everyone of our first team squad will need to up their game considerably.
For me, MW was the best manager we’ve had since Warnock. Incredibly big shoes to fill.

If the last decade has told us anything about this board it’s that they don’t have a clue what they’re doing when it comes to managerial appointments.

As LFW said on Twitter, let’s hope we start next season on fire or I can see it getting pretty nasty…
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

BristolCity
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by BristolCity » Sun May 01, 2022 7:15 pm

Step back and overall it's been a good season.

I'm optimistic for next year for the Rs.

Tbh I genuinely thought QPR was sewn on for promotion a couple of months ago.

Another nothing season in prospect for Bristol though. Mid table mediocrity this year and next. Pesky FFP rules.
QPR is my second team - not many Bristol City fans can say that!

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun May 01, 2022 8:44 pm

Some bookies have Liam Manning as favourite.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

pindarus

Post by pindarus » Mon May 02, 2022 9:59 am

Consider Burnley. They had become predictable cautious and uninspired under Dyche. The new guy, Jackson, has them fired up. Hopefully to be replicated here. Full credit to the Burnley Board for being willing to gamble.