40 Years of Hurt

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

40 Years of Hurt

Post by Montag » Sun May 22, 2022 2:36 pm

40 years since our only FA Cup Final. We did well in the first match despite losing our top scorer for most of the match. 2nd game we clobbered Tossenham but were undone by the great FA Cup final Swindle.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: 40 Years of Hurt

Post by Systemsguy » Sun May 22, 2022 5:18 pm

Montag wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 2:36 pm
40 years since our only FA Cup Final. We did well in the first match despite losing our top scorer for most of the match. 2nd game we clobbered Tossenham but were undone by the great FA Cup final Swindle.
What FA Cup swindle?

I was at the replay Tony Currie chopped down Graham Roberts in the box, Hoddle scored the resulting penalty.....

We outplayed them but didn't put the ball in the onion bag and that's all that matters... An offside goal, penalty appeal and John Gregory hitting the bar don't hold much water for me

For me it was a harsh dejected walk home that night, only worse by the Milk Cup final walk home 4 years later....

That tinpot trophy win at Wembley in 2014 was a real redemption for me personally
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun May 22, 2022 10:31 pm

I must admit 2014 helped but that goal in 1982 was not offside and the ref wouldn't have give us the time of day throughout the game. The most sickening final whistle ever for me. On a lighter note, nice to see the scousards miss out on the title by 1 point despite a 3-1 win over rollover Wolves (again). Funny old game football. Or it used to be.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon May 23, 2022 8:19 am

Montag wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:31 pm
I must admit 2014 helped but that goal in 1982 was not offside and the ref wouldn't have give us the time of day throughout the game. The most sickening final whistle ever for me. On a lighter note, nice to see the scousards miss out on the title by 1 point despite a 3-1 win over rollover Wolves (again). Funny old game football. Or it used to be.
Went to bed in tears that night the scousers won the title at Wolves.... Champions for 10 days

Wembley in 2014 for me was surreal as I attended the final in a blue QPR onesie (my deal with my son if we got to the final)...

He was 10 then and old enough to appreciate the significance unlike the championship win in 2011....

After the final I was walking up Wembley High Road when some Derby fans asked if I was wearing the onesie as a joke!

What really topped it off was I bumped into Stan Bowles with a minder in tow outside Wembley Central tube and had a chat with him as he looked suitably confused at this fan in a onesie....

Are we all Real Madrid fans in the Champions League final? (especially as the Scouse bar stewards booed the national anthem....)
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon May 23, 2022 10:59 pm

Yes SG, the collective pain of QPR supporters, particularly those of us of a certain age. :( Definitely supporting Real against the scousers.

Wegerle
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Tue May 24, 2022 7:05 pm

I was 13 in 1982 and didn't want anyone to see my tears of joy when Fenwick equalized in the first game. The only ever other QPR game that caused me to well up was in 2004 when we got promoted at Wednesday.

That dairy cup thing in '86 annoyed the hell out of me. Taunting Chelsea fans for the thrashing just weeks before and then getting completely outplayed by Oxford.

2014 was a great day out a Wembley but I have to say that sitting in the away end at the Ethihad in 2012 during THAT game was something very special too!