Luton match

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Luton match

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:00 pm

That 2nd half was disturbing. We completely fell away. But the 1st half was an unbelievable display.
Warburton has his work cut out. Eze puts a few zeroes on his value but Hugill was wearing clogs after the break and that wasn't edifying.

Glad for the win but I'll be perfectly happy with a draw at the animals next week.
Staff Benda Bilili

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:50 pm
That's was bloody hard going .... First 25 was wow.... Hit the bar twice!

Wish the KPFS choir wouldn't gloat so early in a match.....

Joe's blunder gave them hope....

Toni then nearly helped them with another unforced error. before the half ended...

Horrible second half especially after they scored their second early on and we kept giving them freekicks down the right and looked likely to concede a third as they crossed into the box again and again...

Another day we would have drawn or lost that.... :wink:
That's maybe the difference this season... we managed to hold on. Concentration levels need addressing though. Don't think matches involving us thsi season are going to be boring :wink:

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:27 pm

I'll take what we saw today all season long over the expected relegation fight we all thought was on the cards.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

JHC

Post by JHC » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:41 pm

222gers wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:11 pm
A bit early to ask for predictions, but as Saturday will be my first game I'm champing at the bit.
Luton have sold out their allocation, so with a bit of history between the two clubs it should be lively.
As we always concede, I foresee us beating 'em 3-2 with Wells on the scoresheet after his international goals.
What a prediction! I imagine you have a time machine to help with accuracy. Myself? After 30 minutes I was predicting 7-0. Didn't quite work out, but still a great win.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:27 pm
I'll take what we saw today all season long over the expected relegation fight we all thought was on the cards.
For me that’s it. We have a side put together on a relative shoestring but beyond surviving near the bottom as many of us feared and statistically we should be, we are playing expansive passing football and today’s first half was the best I have seen in ages. Ok Luton weren’t great but that’s not the point. There’s not much much to dislike even from the most ardent complainant. You R’s

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:58 pm

In the first half we played some of the best football I have seen in over 50 years of watching this team.

We looked likely to score every time we crossed the half way line. The passing, movement, running off the ball were all excellent.

Could and maybe should have been 5 or 6 up by half time.

And we got all 3 points.

That will do for me.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:29 pm

I'd like to give Luton a bit more credit than some people seem to.
I think yesterday's match involved two teams that will be underestimated for some time this season.
Luton usually play a diamond, a formation that famously lacks width, and when Eze and Chair dropped wide, they didn't seem to know who was supposed to deal with it. But in the second half they changed their formation, and I think they also just played a lot better. I don't think it's just because a lucky goal boosted their morale, but they are an organized team with a manager who worked out how to fix the situation.
Also, they didn't try to kick us off the pitch, which was a nice change. This was the first game of the season where I thought we were the dirtier team.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:46 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:58 pm
In the first half we played some of the best football I have seen in over 50 years of watching this team.

We looked likely to score every time we crossed the half way line. The passing, movement, running off the ball were all excellent.

And we got all 3 points.

That will do for me.
What about the alarming fall off during the 2nd half?
Staff Benda Bilili

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:46 pm
ZENITH R wrote:

And we got all 3 points.

That will do for me.
That's the spirit. Make sure every silver lining has a cloud.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:50 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Could and maybe should have been 5 or 6 up by half time. And we got all 3 points.
That will do for me.
Agree Zenith. First 30 minutes was edge of the seat stuff. Very high quality, pacy football combined with an incredible urge wanting to go forward. The best play I've seen for years.
Lumleys howler was unexplainable as he wasn't even under pressure. These things happen but we seemed a bit shell shocked from then on.

Still I saw a potential yesterday that I haven't seen for many a year. Completely unexpected and bodes very well for the future if we manage to build from that!

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:01 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
ZENITH R wrote:

And we got all 3 points.

That will do for me.
I'm just pointing out a fact Esox, many around me in Ellerslie were more than hacked off at the slap dash performance after the break.
1st half we were a magnificent Premiership football outfit, after the break were were barely League 2 in attitude and application.
Staff Benda Bilili

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:49 pm

I guess many will have asked themselves the same questions after the game I asked myself. If Lumley hadn't made his mistake in the 36th minute would we have racked up a cricket score? Or would our tail off and Luton's improvement have happened anyway?

Some felt our performance was already slipping. Others have pointed out changes Luton made in the 2nd half that improved their game. I wonder whether the players can maintain for 90 minutes the level they performed at until they conceded. Warburton talks a lot about having intensity in our play, as well as ball retention and quick passing. That all requires high levels of concentration, fitness and energy.

If what we saw in the first half on Saturday becomes the standard we regularly achieve, there will be few, if any sides that will keep us at bay in this division.

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:05 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:01 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:

I'm just pointing out a fact Esox, many around me in Ellerslie were more than hacked off at the slap dash performance after the break.
1st half we were a magnificent Premiership football outfit, after the break were were barely League 2 in attitude and application.
Warburton changed his formation for this game to counter Luton and it paid off handsomely (see West London Sport). Luton reorganised at half time and no doubt got an almighty rocket and were a different side in the second half. It's not always just about us. One clear change was the way they cut off Manning as an easy out ball in the second half. He saw so much ball in advanced positions in the first half it was ridiculous. The Ellerslie Groan Squad will always find a way of ripping the joy out of any occasion, tune them out like I have learned to!

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:09 pm

If nobody else has mentioned it already, I would just like to say that Dominic Ball had a great game and I would start him ahead of Cameron every day of the week.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 am

Greyhound wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:09 pm
If nobody else has mentioned it already, I would just like to say that Dominic Ball had a great game and I would start him ahead of Cameron every day of the week.
Reassuring to know considering Cameron’s injury record.