Digital Entry

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Digital Entry

Post by 222gers » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:32 pm

Quite a lively debate on LFW while this board was out of action concerning the club's desire for everyone to gain entry via mobile phone next season.
I'm not too concerned but many folk aren't au fait with modern technology and don't possess a smartphone.
I read that many of the “fans” that broke into wembley had screenshots of tickets on their phones that they used to avoid being ejected when stewards finally gained control.
I imagine the Rangers want unmanned turnstiles to save money.
Apparently if you do not wish to partake of this form of entry you can contact the club but it's been messy.
I think there may be some confusion at the turnstiles, sorry, entry points, for the first match of the season.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Digital Entry

Post by QPR_John » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:29 pm

222gers wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:32 pm
Quite a lively debate on LFW while this board was out of action concerning the club's desire for everyone to gain entry via mobile phone next season.
I'm not too concerned but many folk aren't au fait with modern technology and don't possess a smartphone.
I read that many of the “fans” that broke into wembley had screenshots of tickets on their phones that they used to avoid being ejected when stewards finally gained control.
Apparently if you do not wish to partake of this form of entry you can contact the club but it's been messy.
I think there may be some confusion at the turnstiles, sorry, entry points, for the first match of the season.
I’ve asked for my card to be actioned. After many years working with computers I’ll let the bugs get ironed out first.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:40 pm

222gers wrote:
They could do this with paper cards, the way British Rail did. Think most likely they know this is how it will be eventually and it's better to be in front of the curve than behind it.

bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:16 pm

jimjams wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:40 pm
222gers wrote:
They could do this with paper cards, the way British Rail did. Think most likely they know this is how it will be eventually and it's better to be in front of the curve than behind it.
This is what we in IT (and I'm sure elsewhere) always described as the Bleeding Edge...
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:58 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:29 pm
I’ve asked for my card to be actioned. After many years working with computers I’ll let the bugs get ironed out first.
...well...last time I did it too, but now I am crossing my fingers and go with the new way....
me too I have worked 20 years in IT and I have seen technologies fail too many times and when it happens it is always on the worst moment.....
I am still printing out my boarding pass on paper...have seen too many passengers trying unsuccessfully to scan their smart - not so smart then - phone on the reader....

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:19 am

Giorgio wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:58 pm
QPR_John wrote:
...well...last time I did it too, but now I am crossing my fingers and go with the new way....
me too I have worked 20 years in IT and I have seen technologies fail too many times and when it happens it is always on the worst moment.....
I am still printing out my boarding pass on paper...have seen too many passengers trying unsuccessfully to scan their smart - not so smart then - phone on the reader....
Yep, also (as I was once told by a Qantas staff member when my luggage went astray) the most likely way to have your luggage sent to the wrong destination is via the electronic bag drop.
Question everything.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:14 am

Giorgio wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:58 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Good luck you're a braver man than me.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:31 am

222gers wrote:
I've been to other grounds with unmanned turnstiles ... they had a barcode scanner. Either off the ticket or the e mail from the box office. Season ticket holders, just scanned the barcode on their season ticket.

No need for smartphones (which not everyone has).
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:53 am

I've been to other grounds with unmanned turnstiles ... they had a barcode scanner. Either off the ticket or the e mail from the box office.
Season ticket holders, just scanned the barcode on their season ticket.

I think the difference here is that there will not be a season ticket so no barcode other than on phone...

I do wonder if you can print the code from your phone as backup - or to give to someone else to use your ticket when you can't make a game?
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:04 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:31 am
I've been to other grounds with unmanned turnstiles ... they had a barcode scanner. Either off the ticket or the e mail from the box office. Season ticket holders, just scanned the barcode on their season ticket.

No need for smartphones (which not everyone has).
...so if you have the QR code on paper it could be read by the scanner and allow the entrance...?
I have received today the e-mail from the club and following the procedure I downloaded the Season ticket onto Google Pay.
Well, just that word "PAY" is already something that I hate, also because I had to install the Google Pay app on my phone, giving my details
of PayPal to complete the installation. At the end I read..."you are not going to be charged until you buy something..."
For sure I am not buying anything, but the fact that they already know my details is giving me a good amount of annoyance....

I would like to cancel it after taking a snip shot of the QR, putting it as a picture in my personal folder to be used at the entrance gate.

Who is an expert of this s##t and can tell me if that can be done...?? :lol: :lol: :lol: