Match Thread: Bournemouth v Queens Park Rangers FC

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Bournemouth v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by 222gers » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:16 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:05 pm
Unlucky not to get something in the end, although we were also possibly fortunate not to be three down before the substitutions were made and changed the game.

Adam Smith though. What a prick. Imagine being in the same squad as Ben Pearson and still being the biggest knob end.

And don't get me started on his economic theories....... :evil:
He should be institutionalised.

archer101

Post by archer101 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Sorry to be negative, but I think Bournemouth exposed QPR tonight. They saw that we love to pass the ball around at the back, and from the off they closed down every player who had the ball. Instead of taking on this challenge, every passing movement went ever further backwards until we were left with no choice but to play it to the keeper, who hoofed it upfield and surrendered possession anyway. This is how the first goal came about, with the ball played back for no reason and Dickie being intimidated by players closing him down and not sure where to go with the ball.

There seems to be a built in instruction to our backs and midfield players to go backwards rather than take any chance of losing possession. But tonight showed that we had no answer to being pressed. Whenever one of our players received the ball with an opponent anywhere near in front of them, the first instinct was to go back or sideways.

As a result we are generally late getting the ball in the box. We are happy to attack down the wings IF we have an overlap, but scared to death to attack through the middle. We seem to be copying the same pattern as the England team, of valuing possession more than penetration. Bournemouth showed today how to do it the opposite way.

We do create chances and we could have scored more tonight, but I think we have become a bit easy to 'read'.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:01 pm

archer101 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 pm
Sorry to be negative, but I think Bournemouth exposed QPR tonight. They saw that we love to pass the ball around at the back, and from the off they closed down every player who had the ball. Instead of taking on this challenge, every passing movement went ever further backwards until we were left with no choice but to play it to the keeper, who hoofed it upfield and surrendered possession anyway. This is how the first goal came about, with the ball played back for no reason and Dickie being intimidated by players closing him down and not sure where to go with the ball.

There seems to be a built in instruction to our backs and midfield players to go backwards rather than take any chance of losing possession. But tonight showed that we had no answer to being pressed. Whenever one of our players received the ball with an opponent anywhere near in front of them, the first instinct was to go back or sideways.

As a result we are generally late getting the ball in the box. We are happy to attack down the wings IF we have an overlap, but scared to death to attack through the middle. We seem to be copying the same pattern as the England team, of valuing possession more than penetration. Bournemouth showed today how to do it the opposite way.

We do create chances and we could have scored more tonight, but I think we have become a bit easy to 'read'.
That's an interesting post. I didn't see tonight's game but we do struggle against “high press” teams, the most blatant being last season's Barnsley game and to a great extent this season's Barnsley game.

Taking one consideration with another, both teams have the same amount of players on the field so there should be a way to flexibly overcome this.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:07 pm

My son watched the game and remarked we were being done down the right and Kakay was leaving Dickie exposed.....

We improved when Albert came on but we can't continue giving 2 goal leads to the opposition, we've rescued a point twice from our poor starts and nearly did it for a third time tonight....

THREE points on Saturday is a must now to keep in the pack nipping away at the likes of Bournemouth, WBA and Fulham

We need to start two strikers up front....
2021/2022.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

guyrob07
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by guyrob07 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:00 am

I’d have to agree Kakay’s positional play isn’t great, I actually think right back is our weakest position. On the other hand very encouraged by Sam McCullum on the left.

It’s such a pleasure to watch this team play, haven’t felt so encouraged by a lose before.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 am

Lest we forget ...

Not so long ago ... when Hughes and Redknapp were in charge, away from home, live on Sky, on a wet and windy night - we would have lost that with a whimper. Probably by 3 or 4 goals.

OK, we lost, and ultimately it was an individual mistake which cost us (no criticism here though). However, on the balance of play a draw would have been a fair result, and our team to a man fought for the shirt, the fans and the team from the first whistle to the last. I'll take that all day long.

Being kind, Bournemouth were robust and physical, being honest - they regularly fouled our players, often to break up a potential attack. A stronger ref would have got a firm grip early on. That said, Willock was lucky to stay on the pitch, though maybe a stronger ref, would have meant he wouldn't have been so frustrated in the first place.

Bournemouth are a good shout for promotion, but I don't think there is too much between them and us, and we will be the mix next May.

Keep the faith.

UR's!

I would add, we have a number of players who are really good, and they work well as a team. That is a recipe for success. We don't have one stand out player, we have a number of them. I think this team will only get better as the season progresses.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:19 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 am
Lest we forget ...

Not so long ago ... when Hughes and Redknapp were in charge, away from home, live on Sky, on a wet and windy night - we would have lost that with a whimper. Probably by 3 or 4 goals.

OK, we lost, and ultimately it was an individual mistake which cost us (no criticism here though). However, on the balance of play a draw would have been a fair result, and our team to a man fought for the shirt, the fans and the team from the first whistle to the last. I'll take that all day long.

Being kind, Bournemouth were robust and physical, being honest - they regularly fouled our players, often to break up a potential attack. A stronger ref would have got a firm grip early on. That said, Willock was lucky to stay on the pitch, though maybe a stronger ref, would have meant he wouldn't have been so frustrated in the first place.

Bournemouth are a good shout for promotion, but I don't think there is too much between them and us, and we will be the mix next May.

Keep the faith.

UR's!

I would add, we have a number of players who are really good, and they work well as a team. That is a recipe for success. We don't have one stand out player, we have a number of them. I think this team will only get better as the season progresses.
Cracking post Z...Made me feel even better about our glorious team !
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Good post Zenith although it would make sense us not gifting the opposition
a 2 goal start every away game.
Ifang Bondi

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:43 am

Some great posts here - for whatever reason, we had a slow start or struggled to deal with their gameplan. Would take it as a compliment that they adjusted their gam to try and stop us..

Second half particularly, their tactics I thought were pretty repulsive. Zemura's look and throw away of the ball was equally as darkening of the spirit of the game, as were Smith's attempts to incite a reaction from Wilcock and his "tackle" with Barbet.

Cheap kick outs/pull backs each time a Rangers player tried to break forward - thought Wilcock's reaction aside, the Rangers players held themselves together with much credit.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:38 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 pm
Perhaps we should simply play as if we were 2-0 down from the kick off?! :D
Question everything.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:23 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:38 am
Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 pm
Perhaps we should simply play as if we were 2-0 down from the kick off?! :D
Excellent idea! I have seen some replay's since of their first goal and we had a good shout for a free kick, even their player behind immediately looks over to the Ref. Momentum was handed to Bournemouth after that goal and although we played well in the second half to me the performance wasn't as good as we have seen recently. A lot was made of their keepers saves but they looked pretty routine to me.

We had good luck as well with their shot coming off the inside of the post and Willock not seeing red, he would have been a huge miss for us. Onwards and upwards, that is one of the most difficult games this season out of the way and overall we gave a good showing.