Andre Gray

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

User avatar
deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5974
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Andre Gray

Post by deadendjob » Sun May 08, 2022 6:27 pm

Armstrong's done well, but he's still 18. There's potential there, but he's a long way off being championship ready. A few more seasons out on loan and we'll have a better idea of his true talent.
Image

pindarus
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Andre Gray

Post by pindarus » Sun May 08, 2022 7:57 pm

So Armstrong too young, Kelman not setting the world on fire, Austin gone, Dykes barren, Bonne dried up, Gray too pricy. The cupboard is pretty bare.
Jamie Mackie still got the legs?

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Andre Gray

Post by ZENITH R » Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 pm

Gray has been released by Watford. So is now available. Personally, I think he did enough for us to offer him a deal, especially as Charlie has now left.

He did also, score our goal of the season.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Andre Gray

Post by WA Hoop » Sat May 28, 2022 4:13 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 pm
Gray has been released by Watford. So is now available. Personally, I think he did enough for us to offer him a deal, especially as Charlie has now left.

He did also, score our goal of the season.
Financials aside, the Board wanted to send him back to Watford in January and the connection with Warbs is no longer a factor. Consequently, I would be surprised to see Andre return. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, I'm really not sure.
Question everything.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Andre Gray

Post by ZENITH R » Sat May 28, 2022 11:31 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:13 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 pm
Gray has been released by Watford. So is now available. Personally, I think he did enough for us to offer him a deal, especially as Charlie has now left.

He did also, score our goal of the season.
Financials aside, the Board wanted to send him back to Watford in January and the connection with Warbs is no longer a factor. Consequently, I would be surprised to see Andre return. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, I'm really not sure.
Just my opinion of course, but I think the rotation of the strikers hurt us.

Clearly Dykes was the preferred striker - he started 30 games last season and completed the full 90 minutes on 19 occasions. Austin by comparison started 18 but only managed the full 90 for 5 of them. For Gray it was 4 times from 15 starts.

So, considering the goals scored to minutes on the pitch, Gray out performed our main striker by some distance.

I think we are well aware we are strapped for cash, so can't afford to spend big, and when we have in recent years (relatively speaking) it hasn't really worked. We paid £2 million for Bonne, and £1.5 million for Dykes. We couldn't for example complete with the £5 million Brizzle paid for Nahki Wells.

Putting it into perspective - Gray is about to be unemployed. He has pace (more than any other striker currently on our books) as demonstrated by his goal at WBA. He has skill and technique, as demonstrated by his goal at Derby, he has experience and at 30 (31 next month) could be considered to be in his prime.

Unless he wants silly money, which we can't afford, it seems a no brainer to me to offer him a deal.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5161
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Andre Gray

Post by Montag » Sat May 28, 2022 11:46 am

£2m for Bonne? That is an absolute p****take. L1 at best.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Andre Gray

Post by WA Hoop » Sun May 29, 2022 4:20 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:31 am
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:13 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 pm
Gray has been released by Watford. So is now available. Personally, I think he did enough for us to offer him a deal, especially as Charlie has now left.

He did also, score our goal of the season.
Financials aside, the Board wanted to send him back to Watford in January and the connection with Warbs is no longer a factor. Consequently, I would be surprised to see Andre return. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, I'm really not sure.
Just my opinion of course, but I think the rotation of the strikers hurt us.

Clearly Dykes was the preferred striker - he started 30 games last season and completed the full 90 minutes on 19 occasions. Austin by comparison started 18 but only managed the full 90 for 5 of them. For Gray it was 4 times from 15 starts.

So, considering the goals scored to minutes on the pitch, Gray out performed our main striker by some distance.

I think we are well aware we are strapped for cash, so can't afford to spend big, and when we have in recent years (relatively speaking) it hasn't really worked. We paid £2 million for Bonne, and £1.5 million for Dykes. We couldn't for example complete with the £5 million Brizzle paid for Nahki Wells.

Putting it into perspective - Gray is about to be unemployed. He has pace (more than any other striker currently on our books) as demonstrated by his goal at WBA. He has skill and technique, as demonstrated by his goal at Derby, he has experience and at 30 (31 next month) could be considered to be in his prime.

Unless he wants silly money, which we can't afford, it seems a no brainer to me to offer him a deal.
I don't disagree with any of that, I think Andre is a good striker who has managed to do well in the absence of proper service. No brainer or not, I just don't see our Board bringing him back to LR.
Question everything.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Andre Gray

Post by ZENITH R » Sun May 29, 2022 6:21 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:20 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:31 am
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:13 am


Financials aside, the Board wanted to send him back to Watford in January and the connection with Warbs is no longer a factor. Consequently, I would be surprised to see Andre return. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, I'm really not sure.
Just my opinion of course, but I think the rotation of the strikers hurt us.

Clearly Dykes was the preferred striker - he started 30 games last season and completed the full 90 minutes on 19 occasions. Austin by comparison started 18 but only managed the full 90 for 5 of them. For Gray it was 4 times from 15 starts.

So, considering the goals scored to minutes on the pitch, Gray out performed our main striker by some distance.

I think we are well aware we are strapped for cash, so can't afford to spend big, and when we have in recent years (relatively speaking) it hasn't really worked. We paid £2 million for Bonne, and £1.5 million for Dykes. We couldn't for example complete with the £5 million Brizzle paid for Nahki Wells.

Putting it into perspective - Gray is about to be unemployed. He has pace (more than any other striker currently on our books) as demonstrated by his goal at WBA. He has skill and technique, as demonstrated by his goal at Derby, he has experience and at 30 (31 next month) could be considered to be in his prime.

Unless he wants silly money, which we can't afford, it seems a no brainer to me to offer him a deal.
I don't disagree with any of that, I think Andre is a good striker who has managed to do well in the absence of proper service. No brainer or not, I just don't see our Board bringing him back to LR.
But according to newspaper reports we are looking at Will Keane from Wigan for £1 million. That's Will Keane who we had on loan in 2014 and who couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Andre Gray

Post by WA Hoop » Sun May 29, 2022 6:55 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:21 am
WA Hoop wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:20 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:31 am


Just my opinion of course, but I think the rotation of the strikers hurt us.

Clearly Dykes was the preferred striker - he started 30 games last season and completed the full 90 minutes on 19 occasions. Austin by comparison started 18 but only managed the full 90 for 5 of them. For Gray it was 4 times from 15 starts.

So, considering the goals scored to minutes on the pitch, Gray out performed our main striker by some distance.

I think we are well aware we are strapped for cash, so can't afford to spend big, and when we have in recent years (relatively speaking) it hasn't really worked. We paid £2 million for Bonne, and £1.5 million for Dykes. We couldn't for example complete with the £5 million Brizzle paid for Nahki Wells.

Putting it into perspective - Gray is about to be unemployed. He has pace (more than any other striker currently on our books) as demonstrated by his goal at WBA. He has skill and technique, as demonstrated by his goal at Derby, he has experience and at 30 (31 next month) could be considered to be in his prime.

Unless he wants silly money, which we can't afford, it seems a no brainer to me to offer him a deal.
I don't disagree with any of that, I think Andre is a good striker who has managed to do well in the absence of proper service. No brainer or not, I just don't see our Board bringing him back to LR.
But according to newspaper reports we are looking at Will Keane from Wigan for £1 million. That's Will Keane who we had on loan in 2014 and who couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo.
I hadn't read that...he was junk!
Question everything.

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Andre Gray

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun May 29, 2022 12:26 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:55 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:21 am
WA Hoop wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:20 am


I don't disagree with any of that, I think Andre is a good striker who has managed to do well in the absence of proper service. No brainer or not, I just don't see our Board bringing him back to LR.
But according to newspaper reports we are looking at Will Keane from Wigan for £1 million. That's Will Keane who we had on loan in 2014 and who couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo.
I hadn't read that...he was junk!
Which reinforces my great fear that the recruitment at HQ is mediocre at best,
The decision-making process at Loftus Road makes a Soviet politburo look positively transparent.
Ifang Bondi

User avatar
Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5711
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: Andre Gray

Post by Systemsguy » Sun May 29, 2022 5:44 pm

Wasn't his full name Will Keane off side ?
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Image

User avatar
UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 10756
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Andre Gray

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun May 29, 2022 6:23 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:26 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:55 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:21 am


But according to newspaper reports we are looking at Will Keane from Wigan for £1 million. That's Will Keane who we had on loan in 2014 and who couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo.
I hadn't read that...he was junk!
Which reinforces my great fear that the recruitment at HQ is mediocre at best,
The decision-making process at Loftus Road makes a Soviet politburo look positively transparent.
Do you believe every random rumour about potential transfer activity, and then make judgements about how the club's being run off the back of them ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Andre Gray

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun May 29, 2022 7:53 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:23 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:26 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:55 am


I hadn't read that...he was junk!
Which reinforces my great fear that the recruitment at HQ is mediocre at best,
The decision-making process at Loftus Road makes a Soviet politburo look positively transparent.
Do you believe every random rumour about potential transfer activity, and then make judgements about how the club's being run off the back of them ?
No, I just know that overall the recruitment isn't up to scratch regardless of any rumours
that may or may not be circulating.
Ifang Bondi

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Andre Gray

Post by Satch » Mon May 30, 2022 3:40 pm

Who’s recruiting better than us with similar limitations? Not everything works out as is the nature of having to purchase based on potential but I think there should be a lot of credit given for building a competitive first 11 on a shoe string budget.

As an aside Keane has a superb goal scoring record over the past 2 seasons. I’m not in a hurry to sign him but any other player with a 1 in 2 record in the league below available for 1m and we’d think it good business, I wouldn’t write a player off based solely on his performances as a 21 year old.

Post Reply