Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Warburton

Post by QPR_John » Tue May 03, 2022 10:43 am

Virginia_R wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:25 am
This is extremely grim reading.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/beh ... gainst-him
No quotes I see. I think you can see support from that article no matter what camp you are in.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue May 03, 2022 1:56 pm

People still working there are unlikely to go on the record with their criticism of the management or the board.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue May 03, 2022 1:58 pm

I find it baffling that the club hierarchy don't rate Barbet, if these reports are true. Christ, the man has a heart like a horse, played for nigh on two consecutive seasons without missing a game for any reason whatsoever. Master of the “big diag” plus thunderous tackles to save the day and quite a threat in the opposition box.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue May 03, 2022 2:07 pm

Not to mention his free-kicks. Actually, it's probably best if we don't mention those.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Tue May 03, 2022 2:56 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:56 pm
People still working there are unlikely to go on the record with their criticism of the management or the board.

I’m just weary of any article that does not contain any quotes to back it up. Not saying it’s not true just not prepared to accept it at face value without further evidence. Simple as that.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue May 03, 2022 5:11 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:56 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:56 pm
I’m just weary of any article that does not contain any quotes to back it up. Not saying it’s not true just not prepared to accept it at face value without further evidence. Simple as that.
I get your point John but David McIntyre, unlike Barbet's free kicks, is rarely wide of the mark. Doesn't bode well for the next manager either, The Ferdinand/Ramsey way or the highway.

You have to look at our owners as well. Neigh on ten years in the game and they still don't remotely understand football, are too busy to attend games and spend time at the club on a regular basis which is why they rely heavily on their Director of Football.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Tue May 03, 2022 5:58 pm

Virginia_R wrote:

Yeah it was. Seems a lot of egos within the club have been causing issues.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Tue May 03, 2022 8:22 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:58 pm
Virginia_R wrote:

Yeah it was. Seems a lot of egos within the club have been causing issues.
How is Fernandes still picking players and managers?! I had hoped he’d stopped being involved in football related decisions, rather than just appearing to have stopped.

Also, it’s news to me that our policy isn’t bringing in promising young players from elsewhere and developing them (ie rather than relying on our academy). It’s been a great success.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Tue May 03, 2022 8:44 pm

Dave M is usually fairly close to the mark, and what he describes explains a lot - lack of unity behind a single, clear strategy. And to be fair, it's understandable in the circumstances,because Warburton did not want to risk relying on players like e.g. Kakay, whereas Les and Chris Ramsey are presumably looking at it the other way round: taking risks with academy products is fundamental to their strategy, and it's also not going to bankrupt the club. And while Les & co look foolish offering Hamalainen a 5 year deal, Warburton puts his neck on the line picking Sanderson ahead of Kakay and watching the team tumble down the league. In addition, we are back where we were a few years ago - saddled paying big wages to players how probably aren't worth it. I guess that's the thinking behind the Barbet situation - I can only imagine his wage demands were unaffordable. He's a class act and the next contract he signs will probably be the biggest of his career.

It's down to the Chairman and the rest of the Board to sort this out and show some clear direction - the lack of which I think is still the biggest problem we have. Swapping around the personnel from time to time is just papering over the cracks.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue May 03, 2022 8:57 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:44 pm
Dave M is usually fairly close to the mark, and what he describes explains a lot - lack of unity behind a single, clear strategy. And to be fair, it's understandable in the circumstances,because Warburton did not want to risk relying on players like e.g. Kakay, whereas Les and Chris Ramsey are presumably looking at it the other way round: taking risks with academy products is fundamental to their strategy, and it's also not going to bankrupt the club. And while Les & co look foolish offering Hamalainen a 5 year deal, Warburton puts his neck on the line picking Sanderson ahead of Kakay and watching the team tumble down the league. In addition, we are back where we were a few years ago - saddled paying big wages to players how probably aren't worth it. I guess that's the thinking behind the Barbet situation - I can only imagine his wage demands were unaffordable. He's a class act and the next contract he signs will probably be the biggest of his career.

It's down to the Chairman and the rest of the Board to sort this out and show some clear direction - the lack of which I think is still the biggest problem we have. Swapping around the personnel from time to time is just papering over the cracks.
Certainly, various groups within the club being at odds with one another is the most likely cause of the slump. We were raving about this team a few months back. Even the draining effects of the crippling injury situation couldn't explain the way the players stopped performing- if anything you'd think the players would redouble their efforts to plug the gaps.
It's very depressing as we thought the club was united and heading in the right direction. Now, who knows ?

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Tue May 03, 2022 9:04 pm

Mistakes might have been made but on balance we have headed under the right direction under the current regime and there are plenty of pluses. Add back in Dieng, Dickie, McCallum, Chair, Willock, Dykes and Odubajo who were, in turn, missing from parts of January and it could easily have been a different story. Let's not dwell on the negatives too much. Between them, the management team and the DOF/owners have made our great club take some strides.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue May 03, 2022 11:06 pm

If MW didn't think certain players were good enough, that is his prerogative. If there is any truth is this "ignoring our youth talent" then it is well out of order. Who was the last quality player our youth system produced? If performances are to looked at by the board perhaps those running our youth system should be scrutinised.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

pindarus

Post by pindarus » Wed May 04, 2022 7:11 am

Warburton does seem to have a predilection for 30+ players which doesn't quite fit in with a youth policy - Austin, Gray, Johansen, Wallace, Hendricks, Adomah, that central defender we were going to get from Forest.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed May 04, 2022 9:16 am

pindarus wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:11 am
Warburton does seem to have a predilection for 30+ players which doesn't quite fit in with a youth policy - Austin, Gray, Johansen, Wallace, Hendricks, Adomah, that central defender we were going to get from Forest.
I think any manager will want a balance between youth and experience though. I see nothing wrong with that, I'd probably agree that bringing in loanees of 30+ is more questionable, unless it's to cover a short-term injury crisis. Of course, Austin and Johansen were over 30 when they signed on loan last year and transformed our season, so having hard and fast rules about these things is tricky.