Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Warburton

Post by LP » Wed May 04, 2022 1:42 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:16 am
pindarus wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:11 am
Warburton does seem to have a predilection for 30+ players which doesn't quite fit in with a youth policy - Austin, Gray, Johansen, Wallace, Hendricks, Adomah, that central defender we were going to get from Forest.
I think any manager will want a balance between youth and experience though. I see nothing wrong with that, I'd probably agree that bringing in loanees of 30+ is more questionable, unless it's to cover a short-term injury crisis. Of course, Austin and Johansen were over 30 when they signed on loan last year and transformed our season, so having hard and fast rules about these things is tricky.
Agree 100%.

If you are signing players over 30, they've got to be setting and maintaining a decent culture among the squad, regardless of whether they're playing every week. I feel like Austin, Johansen, Wallace & Adomah are ideal characters to do that - and we've had short term loans in the past who have done the same.

Rate, Review & Discover Cheese - Cheese Subscriptions now LIVE! - https://fetaccompli.uk

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:22 pm
deadendjob wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:58 pm
Virginia_R wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:25 am
This is extremely grim reading.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/beh ... gainst-him
Yeah it was. Seems a lot of egos within the club have been causing issues.
How is Fernandes still picking players and managers?! I had hoped he’d stopped being involved in football related decisions, rather than just appearing to have stopped.

Also, it’s news to me that our policy isn’t bringing in promising young players from elsewhere and developing them (ie rather than relying on our academy). It’s been a great success.
It seems Amit is in similar position to his tenure as chairman during the Tango and Cash era.... A front man for Uncle Tony
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed May 04, 2022 8:13 pm

LP wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:42 pm
Agree 100%.

If you are signing players over 30, they've got to be setting and maintaining a decent culture among the squad, regardless of whether they're playing every week. I feel like Austin, Johansen, Wallace & Adomah are ideal characters to do that - and we've had short term loans in the past who have done the same.
Agree with your point on over 30's doing a mentoring role but too often we've seen
pace and power destroy the team; we're crying out for a lowering of the average age.

There definitely needs to be quicker physical & mental reaction times on the pitch.
Ifang Bondi

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Thu May 05, 2022 1:04 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:13 pm
LP wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:42 pm
Agree 100%.

Agree with your point on over 30's doing a mentoring role but too often we've seen
pace and power destroy the team; we're crying out for a lowering of the average age.

There definitely needs to be quicker physical & mental reaction times on the pitch.
Spot on Andy!
Question everything.

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri May 06, 2022 10:24 am

Who was the last quality player OUR YOUTH SYSTEM produced? This is a genuine question. Was it Bowler? Ray Jones? Questions need to be asked. If these guys aren't doing the job then we need to get people in that can. As it is we are feeding off the youth scraps of other clubs and hoping for the best. There is no obvious development of youth.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri May 06, 2022 3:01 pm

Tumbleweed moment isn't it?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri May 06, 2022 3:54 pm

Montag wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:24 am
Who was the last quality player OUR YOUTH SYSTEM produced? This is a genuine question. Was it Bowler? Ray Jones? Questions need to be asked. If these guys aren't doing the job then we need to get people in that can. As it is we are feeding off the youth scraps of other clubs and hoping for the best. There is no obvious development of youth.
You make a fair point about quality players that actually come all the way through our own youth pipeline. In fairness though, picking up young players that have been released by other clubs is very much part of the model, and we've been much better at that, with the likes of Eze and Furlong going on to play regularly in the PL. Arguably this also includes players for whom we've paid relatively small fees, like Amos and Field, who have both done well this season. Dieng on a free hasn't turned out too badly either.

I read an article about BOS yesterday where he was extremely complimentary about his time at QPR and how it had helped his development as a player. Of course, we didn't financially benefit from that in the way we would have hoped to, but it does suggest that the current set-up isn't entirely without merit.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri May 06, 2022 4:42 pm

Montag wrote:
Raheem Stirling probably. We made over £10,000,000.

For the youth set up to be effective, it needs a decent scouting network to find the kids who have the raw talent to be coached and developed. That's where to start looking. Are we competing with the other London clubs? My dad used to tell me, "don't go south off the river unless you have to." A good West London lad my dad. However, there seems to be plenty of talent down there and we are not getting a look in. Someone needs to have a serious look at our scouting network south of the river, 'cos it 'aint working effectively, and we are not competitive when it comes to identifying and bringing the talent on board.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri May 06, 2022 5:11 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:54 pm
Montag wrote:
You make a fair point about quality players that actually come all the way through our own youth pipeline. In fairness though, picking up young players that have been released by other clubs is very much part of the model, and we've been much better at that, with the likes of Eze and Furlong going on to play regularly in the PL.
Agree with the above. Furlong, Kakay, Josh Bowler have both come via the Youth Academy in recent years. I don't know if I'd go as far to call them "Quality" - but they've made it into the first team and played a reasonable number of games.

There's a kid coming through at the moment called Henry Hawkins who's meant to be highly ranked.

Others off the top of my head:
Peter Crouch, Nigel Quashie, Raheem Sterling

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri May 06, 2022 7:29 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:11 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Montag wrote:
You make a fair point about quality players that actually come all the way through our own youth pipeline. In fairness though, picking up young players that have been released by other clubs is very much part of the model, and we've been much better at that, with the likes of Eze and Furlong going on to play regularly in the PL.
Agree with the above. Furlong, Kakay, Josh Bowler have both come via the Youth Academy in recent years. I don't know if I'd go as far to call them "Quality" - but they've made it into the first team and played a reasonable number of games.

There's a kid coming through at the moment called Henry Hawkins who's meant to be highly ranked.

We got Crouchie from Tottenham, so not one of our own, although we did give him his chance.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri May 06, 2022 8:10 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:29 pm
deadendjob wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:11 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:

We got Crouchie from Tottenham, so not one of our own, although we did give him his chance.
Ah yeah we did too. I just remembered we were the step up for him